The Nutrition and Dietetic Service is based at Macclesfield District General Hospital. It is a diverse service, providing input across all clinical specialties and settings including, inpatients and outpatients, community settings and General Practice surgeries within Eastern Cheshire.
The Service Objectives
As qualified professionals registered with the Health and Care Professions Council, Dietitians work to:
- Provide specialist nutritional care in outpatient and GP Practice clinics to provide therapeutic dietary advise as an integral part of disease management and prevention for a wide range of conditions in both adults and children
- To maximise nutritional wellbeing for patients in hospital to facilitate reduction in length of hospital stay and prevention of readmission
- To advise on and support appropriate cost-effective prescribing of nutritional products across acute and community settings
- To assess and offer advice, ongoing support and equipment to adults and children who are tube fed
- To provide training and support on Nutrition for other health care professionals
What do you offer to staff?
- Opportunities to work in a multi-professional team across a range of settings
- Continual professional development, through competency based training as well as formal and informal study events/ work based learning to support evidence based practice
What are the benefits of your services?
- Help promote nutritional well-being, treat disease and prevent nutrition related problems
- Provide patient specific advice, which is practical, safe and based on current scientific evidence
- Contribute to the hospital avoidance agenda
- Safe and timely discharge of patients
The Nutrition and Dietetic Team provides individualised dietetic intervention to a wide ranging client group. The dietetic teams are:
Hospital Dietitians provide specialist dietary advice to help patients to manage their medical condition and maintain nutritional status while in hospital and to promote recovery. Dietitians work closely with multi disciplinary teams such as Paediatrics, diabetes, critical care, gastroenterology, stroke and oncology, including specialist outpatient clinics.
GP Practice Team
GP Dietitians provide an outpatient service for patients to attend in their GP practice. Within these clinics the Dietitian provides advice on therapeutic diets for disease management.
Home Enteral Feeding Team
This team provides oral nutrition support and tube feeding advice to patients in residential nursing homes and their own homes.
Community Nutrition Support Team
This team provides advice to housebound patients in their own home and those resident in Care Homes. They provide advice on any nutritional problems this group of patients has, including oral nutrition support, managing diabetes, weight reduction etc. They also provide training to care home staff and other community professionals to identify those at risk of malnutrition, and to support those individuals with appropriate diet to meet their nutritional needs.
Weight Management Team
The Weight Management Team provides both hospital and community based clinics to assist patients in achieving weight reduction and weight maintenance, prior to bariatric surgery.
Georgina Timson - Team Leader
Tel: 01625 661312
Department contact details:
East Cheshire NHS Trust: Macclesfield District General Hospital, Victoria Road, Macclesfield, SK10 3BL
General enquiries/outpatient appointments: 01625 661126
Opening times: Monday - Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm